Wednesday, July 07, 2004

So back to Farenheit 9/11. I have to admit, despite the fact that I am generally a hard left leaning liberal Democrat, some of the accusations Michael More throws at W are rather shocking. The implication that the Bushes were (and maybe still are?) closely tied to the Bin Ladens pre-9/11 left me sitting in the movie theater with my mouth hanging open like a large mouth bass. The depiction of the many soldiers killed and injured tugged at my heart strings, especially with my brother-in-law serving in Afghanistan right now. There were two parts that brought me to tears. In the beginning the screen goes black and all you hear are the sounds of the airplanes slamming into the World Trade towers, people screaming, mass pandemonium. The second was later when the mother of a soldier that has died (one of the 800+ who have perished since W officially called the thing over with) is talking about him and his sacrifice. Just tore at my heart strings. This movie, if anything has galvanized me in getting W out of office in November. Not just W either. Our esteemed local congressman needs to be booted out too. He's seen briefly in the movie applauding something that just made me question his sanity.

I totally suggest going to see this movie. It's worth the dinero.

Found this post today on Joelle's site, pretty much hits it right on the head for me...
I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that I'm 30 sometimes. Not that 30 is old, but I know women who are younger than me who are married and have kids and are all responsible, packing lunches and carpooling and wiping asses and saving the day with band-aids. I just said "motherfucker!" because I thought I was out of coffee and I had to replace my toilet seat because I got flaming red hair dye all over it. I won't do laundry for two weeks. I can't remember to buy toilet paper. I stay up till 4am watching infomercials and buy shit like Nads that will sit in my cabinet and rot until I throw it out 2 years later.

I feel like I should be... I don't know... more... not mature and not older, just different, I guess. But then, I think, I'm totally not that person. I wouldn't be happy, I'd feel trapped. That's ME, of course. There are plenty of women who totally rock for being supermoms and I admire that. I think I'd suck at it. That's taboo to say, too, I feel. That you think you wouldn't be a good mom? I mean, I love kids and kids love me, usually. And I think I'd be a great mom, but I just don't have that Suave-haired, Ovaltine, Pass the Sunny D, tv-mom disposition. I'd be afraid my kid would swallow the remote I left on the floor or end up with hazelnut Coffeemate instead of formula.

But, oh, how I do love to vacuum.


It's funny, just when I'm feeling my lowest about myself and my potential spin into spinsterhood (let's face it people, I am 28 years old and not getting any younger) I get affirmation that it's o.k. to be 30 and unmarried. To be approaching that milestone age with no prospects on the horizon. Somehow I feel like it really will be o.k. Saturday night at work I also had the best compliment I think I've heard in a long time. We were all sitting in the back room at the Lobster, just talking and doing nothing since we were dead. Somehow we got on the conversation of marriage. One of the younger guys I work with (he's 19) looks at me and says So wait, you're 23 right, how come you're not married? I love this kid. He's great. After I corrected him on the age thing he still wouldn't let it go so I told him I honestly never thought about it. I always just chalked it up to the fact that guys didn't find me attractive and that was that. God bless him, my co-worker looked at me and said "I don't understand that, you seem like a nice girl to date to me."

What a sweetheart. Nothing to lift your day than being told how great you are by a 19 year old. Lol. I'll take what I can get though.


No comments: