Friday, October 22, 2004

He reminded me last night that not acting your age is o.k. That actually, enjoying the world like we did when we were kids is the best way to go about living life. As I was finally cleaning one of my big tables and he was trying to do the same, I finally started to unwind (stressful night). A catchy little ditty came over the speakers and not realizing he was nearby I started singing along and dancing with the little vac.

He just laughed, shook his head and told me about a table he had earlier in the week where there were some overly excited rambunctious children. Instead of being flustered the adults at the table were content to let the kids be, well, kids. They fell into conversation and the adult asked "When is it that we lose the ability to enjoy the world like kids do? When is it in our lives that we stop being spontaneous and stop taking joy in the little things in life?"

His reply to the table was he didn't know.

I didn't have an answer either, but it reminded me that seeing the world and being in the world like a child is a good way to live the day to day. This morning I jumped in a few puddles on the way to the car. I also dug out my crayons again. So often I sit at the full time job bored out of my skull, unable to be on the internet for extended periods of time (company policy), newspapers usually read with nothing to do. Today I have my box of crayons and I'm going to color.

I am by no means saying it's a good idea to totally disregard the responsibilities of adulthood. Bills do need to be paid. Home's need to be cleaned. Laundry needs to be done. What I am saying is it is good for us to take time out of our schedules to enjoy the little things. The rain puddles. Rolling down a big hill. Swinging on a swing. Laying in the grass and watching clouds float by. It's these things that keep us young.

And I fully intend on making sure I do somthing to keep me young at least once a week.

No comments: