Thursday, August 10, 2006

Amen and Amen

Found over at Tired of Men...

How can women be so successful for instance in the workplace, do all that they desire and be surrounded by family and friends and STILL be seen as some sort of failure because they haven't turned their ovaries over to a man or turned into bridezilla, or God forbid, remained single because they felt like holding out for the right guy?

I refuse to be someone who thinks that I'm not as great as someone else because I haven't got a ring on my finger, pushed out some kids and consigned myself to the life of a desperate housewife. At 29. One day I'd like to get married and have some mini-me's but it's not because society told me so. I will only do those things because it's what's right for me.

Couldn't have said it any better. It's getting harder and harder, believe it or not in this modern world for those of us who still haven't found Mr. Right. Who are holding out for something better or just maybe want to be a little selfish and enjoy life to it's fullest before we get tied down. When people ask me if I'm married after I reveal my age (30, if you must know) usually I get a, huh? Really? No kids or husband? or just a raise of the eyebrows to show shock or even disapproval (one woman told me recently that if I didn't "catch a man soon, it would be too late and then it would never happen". Yeah. Because I need one more thing to make my self esteem any lower).

Why is there still such a stigma attached to being single in your late 20s or into your 30s when you're a woman? It shouldn't be there, but it is. And yeah, I want to maybe get married some day or at least find someone to spend my life with (not necessarily in marriage). But if that doesn't happen, what's so wrong about that?

1 comment:

kate said...

Grr. This is SO frustrating. My (younger) brother is already married and my (younger) sister is engaged and people ask me "Why aren't you married?" like I have a big choice in the matter and because of that, I've somehow "failed".

Sheesh.