Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I have soooo reverted back to my 16 year old self

OMG. Yeah, that's right, I said OMG.

Tonight, while I was at band practice (I'm a guard instructor at my old high school) I had a phone call. But I didn't get the message until we were done, because like the good leader I am I had my phone on silent and in my bag.

"Wendy, it's Alex. Your guy is in here. The guy in the band. He came in here looking for you and was all perturbed you weren't here. He also wanted me to call you and have you stop by. Just wanted to let you know."

Holy crap.

My fingers couldn't dial the restaurant's number fast enough.

"Cheeseburger -"

"Alex? Hey, it's me. Is he still there?"

"Who...oh yeah, hey, I think he is, hang on..."

She put me on hold. I'm kvetching like nobody's business and she freaking. put. me. on. hold. While I was listening to the strains of Jimmy Buffet's "Volcano" I could feel myself slowly turning back into my high school self.

"Hey, Wendy, yeah, but I think he's getting ready to leave."

"Crap. Oh, well, did he really ask for me when he came in?"

"Uh, YEAH, and girl you really need to get on that. He is too cute and soooo nice."

"O.k., o.k., o.k. Do me a favor. Go tell him I'm sorry I wasn't there, but I was at band practice, he'll understand that. Then be very cool about it and just say she said I could give you her number if you wanted it."

"O.k., hey, I've got to run. I'll talk to you later."

"Right. I'll catch you Sunday. OMG Alex. I so can not believe this!"

She laughed and said good bye again then hung up.

20 minutes later, as I was driving home my cell phone rang. My heart nearly jumped into my chest as I didn't recognize the number and thought this is him!

"Hello?"

"Who is this?"

"Who are you? You called me!"

I kind of knew who it was by the sound of her voice. It was Tasha, another coworker at the part-time.

"Hey, Wendy it's Tasha. I have something for you."

"What's that?"

"He left his number for you."

"WHAT?! That's too funny. Because I had Alex give him mine ( I was babbling by this point). Are you kidding me? Really? He did?"

"Yep."

She repeated it a few times for me since a) I was still driving home from practice and b) I was so excited I was kvelling all over. Then I went into hyper-16 year old-OMG-what do you think-OMG should I call him mode.

"Tasha, should I call him tonight? Or let it go? Or maybe call him tomorrow? Or just play the game and wait a few days? Or just not even call him at all?"

She laughed.

"You sound like some of the high schoolers here. Just take it and run with it! Chill out and wait and see. He wouldn't have given you his number if he didn't want to talk to you outside of band gigs and this place, right?"

"Right. O.k. Thanks girly, I'll see you Friday."

We hung up, and I proceeded to get out of my car and do a happy dance right in the middle of the garage.

So now yes, I've got the hottest keyboard player around's phone number. And I'm as freaked out as I would have been 14 years ago. Only difference is now I understand the game a little more and the rules that go with it.

But it still didn't stop me from emailing him at least....

1 comment:

The Dummy said...

Whoo hoo! Getting phone numbers are fun. So how'd it turn out?