Friday, October 19, 2007

The way we are

I was just finishing up my dinner when the conversation started.

Krysee was behind the bar and I had stopped in to say hi at my former part-time place of employment. Not that I missed it all that much, it was just that I had just gotten my haircut (see the new 'do pic below) and wanted to grab some dinner before band practice.

We started catching up when she mentioned "The guy".

"Whoa, wait a minute, rewind. There's a guy now?"

Krysee and I had bonded over our mutual luck, or lack thereof in the love department.

"Yeah, well, I wouldn't say we're a thing..."

"You're just taking it as it happens."

"Right. See, you understand. You know where we're going..."

"Exactly. It's a shame but this is what happens to women like us. We become more protective of our hearts. Too many hurts will do that to you."

"Isn't that the truth? I was at my parents house the other day and came across some old journals. Reading them made me sad. I don't know what happened to that girl, but she's long gone."

I nodded in agreement and took another sip of my iced tea.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. The me of 15 years ago probably wouldn't even recognize the me now. I was so optimistic and full of hope. Some of that is still around, it's just buried. Somewhere."

Krysee laughed. "Don't you know it!"

No comments: