Sunday, January 25, 2004

What a day. I got into work a little early to get a jump on my obit stories but was pulled off of them when my editor, Cathy got in. Part of the reason I love working Sunday's is the group of people I get to work with. Cathy is a wonderful editor. Since I'm still relatively new to the whole journalism gig she's way more patient with me than she needs to be in regards to my stories. Michele, one of the general assignment reporters sits right next to me and is a class act. She knows her stuff and is wonderful in giving me advice about my stories. I'm glad I get to watch her in action. Some Sundays she'll be here and crank out two or three qualilty news stories just in one night. Today I got to do the main weather story. The area is expecting an additional snowfall of 4-8" tonight (on top of the 3-5" average we had Friday night). I spent my afternoon tromping around local sledding hotbeds and checking in with grocery stores and yes, even our local state liquor store, to see if they were experiencing an increase in sales.

I love doing these stories. Makes me feel like a real reporter. I know it isn't exactly the hardest story anyone could write but I enjoy doing them. Just like the obit stories. They tend to write themselves but I like doing them anyway. Lol, maybe I could make a place for myself at the London Telegraph. The've made writing obit stories an artform.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Assuming we do get the snow being forecasted, my room mate should have off from school. That will put us both home for the day. Something has been bugging her lately and I'm not sure what it is. Friday night she was supposed to come out with some of my buds from the old job (feels good to say that) for happy hour. I emailed her specific instructions on how to get there but she still couldn't find the place. I had my cell phone with me but reception in the greater Manchester area is sketchy at best. She left two very nasty voicemails for me then proceded to go home. I tried to call her three times on her cell phone (leaving messages all three times) plus I called her at home (leaving messages there as well). She ignored me. So I went out for some dinner and eventually home before I went out for my second round of drinking. There she was, sitting on the couch when I got home. I asked her if she was still going out with us later. She said no. I just shrugged, said "That's your decision." and went into my bedroom until it was time for me to leave. I don't have to put up with that. I did nothing wrong. There was no way I was going to kiss her butt on this.

I did go out later with my friend Lyzz. I don't know about her but I had a blast. There was a band, Something Fluid, playing at the Hardware Bar. We drank some beers, danced on the bar (they encourage it I might add) and generally made spectacles of ourselves. Some of our coworkers from the paper joined us after deadline. The night was supposed to be a celebration of my leaving the old job. Too bad not many people made it out. Sigh. Oh well, their loss.

Good times. Good times.

Around 1:30 Lyzz and I parted ways and I went to another local yocal bar called the Stockade to meet up with Friend Bob and some of his buds from work. Since I got there so late I had maybe a small beer but that was it. They kicked us out at 2:30. Bob and I went to Denny's for a late night snack expecting them to be tres busy. Not good for the diet, I know, but some habits are hard to break. It's bad enough I'm trying to slow down the drinking (not that I did that Friday night at all). I was so tired I almost fell asleep at the table and started babbling about warehouses and pulling from them. Poor Bob had no idea it was a residual side effect frrom the old job. Lol, I tried to cover by telling him the guys at the Hardware Bar had told me the new section was going to be big like a warehouse and that is what I was talking about but he knew better. He just suggested we get moving and head for home. So we did, I hit my bed around 3:15ish. Talk about a long day.

When I got up Saturday morning my room mate had left a note for me saying she was sorry about Friday night and that she needed to explain to me what was wrong. Only problem is between both of our schedules I haven't seen her since Friday. She was on the couch this morning as I was heading off to church but we didn't have time for a big long protracted discussion. I guess we'll have to do that tonight if she's still up when I get home.

Right now I'm just waiting for my story to get the thumbs up so I can leave. I still need to brave the grocery store, stop at my parent's house and drop something off at my grandmother's for my mom. Even though I don't need to be up early tomorrow I'm going to go to bed early anyway. I'm going to try to keep myself on some kind of schedule this week so I don't putz around and not get anything done on my stories.

Besides, Bob is coming over tomorrow so we can go sledding. Woo-hoo!



No comments: