Thursday, March 11, 2004

I'm feeling guilty. I should be getting ready for my 5k in April and I have been off track for the better part of a month now. Oh sure, the move has fallen in there and I have started a new job but still, it's no excuse. I'm still planning on running whether I'm ready or not. Tomorrow I'm going to mark out a 3 mile trail in my new neighborhood. The eating has to get better too. We still have not gone grocery shopping for the house and to compensate I've been grabbing a little bit here and there when I can. Sigh. So much for the lost weight. Today I unpacked the scale. I've been afraid to step on it. Maybe tomorrow.

Today I was so hung over. Ugh. Work sucks when you're hungover. I haven't done anything like that in a long time and today was a good reminder as to why I don't. It was well after 2 a.m. by the time I got home then I forced myself to stay up and try to sober up a little before I went to bed. It's just a habit I got into in college. I almost always drink a full 32 oz water and eat maybe some pretzels or bread before bed when I've been drinking. Usually it keeps the pain at a minimum when I wake up the next morning. Guess my age and my body's ability to handle alcohol are starting to get to me. Just can't hang like I used to.

We put more stuff away today. The attic is getting pretty full. Since I don't have the closet space I had in the apartment (nice big walk in type closet) a good bit of my stuff (clothing, etc) has been relegated to the third floor. I don't mind, it's not like I can't get to it or anything. We just need to buy a rug for the living room and the main part of the house will be finished. There are still some small things here and there in my room and the third bedroom that need to be done but beyond that we're in the place. Bob slept there for the first time last night. He decided to take it upon himself to readjust the showerhead without telling me. Not only did I waste 10 minutes fiddling with the damn thing this morning but I got a cold shower to boot. Ah the joys of living with a room mate.

I wasn't going to bring this up on my blog but my friend Chad talked about it today on his sound off Thursday so I thought I'd join the fray too. For those of you not in the loop sports wise, Todd Bertuzzi of the Canuks (hockey folks, hockey) laid out a one heck of a punch on Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche that broke two of Moore's vertebrae and gave him a cuncussion. The hit was totally premeditated. As a hockey player I find all of the hub bub surrounding the incident interesting. I play in a no-check league which basically means we're not supposed to hit other players. Oh, we can push and tussle if we want but no big checks into the boards. Hockey is a violent sport check or no check. There are so many other ways Bertuzzi could have gotten even with Moore. That's what it boils down to really, retribution. I've seen fights at hockey games. Heck, I've been in fights during hockey games but it doesn't have to degenerate into a slugfest. Like I said before, Bertuzzi could have done other things to get back at Moore. A trip here, a well thrown elbow or a hard smack with the stick to the Achillies tendon (not that I've ever done that) are all more legitimate ways to get even. Not sucker punching someone so hard they break vertebrae. Not cool. Bertuzzi derserves the punishment he's getting.

That being said, March Madness is upon us. Selection Sunday is this week. My beloved Dukies will probably get a 1 or 2 seed. Hopefully 1 but how they do in the ACC Tournament will determine where they are. I can't wait for the NCAA Tournament to get rolling. There's nothing better than sitting in front of the television with your brackets, some beer and fresh batteries in the remote control.

No comments: