Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The more I find out about my family's past the more I realize I'm not as crazy as I thought I was. Jeez. Today I went and helped my grandmother put screens back in her windows. She's 81 and doesn't quite get up and down on the step ladder like she used to. While I was there she pulled out some of my great-grandmother's old pictures. I love looking at those things. People who were only just names before suddenly have a face to go with the name. Like my great-great-grandmother Martin. From what I understand the woman was quite the free spirit ( I knew I had to get it from somewhere). Married several times, almost seriously wounded by one of her former husbands and just a downright independent lady. Then there was my own great-grandmother (who I actually knew. she died at the age of 97, I was just getting out of college.) From what my grandmother was telling me she had one heck of a temper and an independent streak to go with it. Lol, no wonder my great-grandpa always had his hearing aid turned down.

Family history is important. At least to me it is. It's where we come from and can give us a window into ourselves. Looking at some of those pictures today I saw some of the same faces I see now, in myself, my sister and my multitude of cousins. As payment for helping my grandma sent a few of the pictures home with me. I immediately went to Target and bought some frames. Now they hold a place on the mantle. Just reminders that there were others not so different that came before me, and hopefully there will be others not so much different coming after.

No comments: