Monday, June 28, 2004

Some people will do anything to get a date. Jeez. Leave it to those New Yorkers to come up with something like this. Just seems like so much more work than is necessary. Then again, maybe that's my problem. I've always had a laid back kind of attitude about the whole dating process. I guess it never really occured to me that you need to do a little work to get something out of it. Probably part of the explanation why I've been single for so long. Deep down I know I should put forth more effort. Take time with my appearance. Flirt a little more. Sigh. Somedays though, I just don't have it in me. Unfortunately those days are getting to be more frequent.

When I was a little girl I read all the time. My nose was constantly stuck in a book. According to my parents they knew I would be a book lover when I demanded my father read to me before bed when I was two, and I would not go to sleep until he had. And it had to be the same book, the Dr. Seuss classic One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (I now sport a tatoo of the red fish on my right shoulder). When I got a little older and could read for myself it wasn't unusual for my mom to find me in our rec room, reading the encyclopedias when I was bored. It's probably the reason I have so much useless trivia stored in various places in my noggin. As I got into college I kind of lost my passion for reading. Being forced to read 100 pages a night for boring classes kind of killed my love of reading for fun. Unless it was a Cosmo or Glamour I usually didn't read it.

Lately though I've been getting back into my books again. Devouring old favorites, like Bridget Jones' Diary or John Jakes' California Gold, in a few days. Picking up new hardbacks I've been meaning to read from our local library like the book I just finished today. I finally got around to reading Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed. What a great book! Again, not a major literary work but damn, was that a page turner. I had put it on hold a week ago and finally got around to picking it up Thursday. Friday I started reading it. If I wouldn't have had to work I probably would have finished it Sunday but I finally put it down this afternoon. The main character was me (at least what I would be like if I actually had a full time writing job and a relationship that lasted more than six months). The voice and her views on life totally struck a chord with me. I love it when a book does that. When you can see yourself in the characters (or a character). When you get so emotionally invested in the plot and the players that you cry at the end. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I cried like a baby at the end of the book. Try finishing the last 10 pages of a book with tears streaming down your face and no Kleenex in sight. Lol. Good thing only the cats were around to witness that little emotional breakdown.

No comments: