Saturday, February 19, 2005

Breaking my own rules

Friday night I really had no intention of going out.

We were busy at the Lobster and as usually happens, I was screwed over on the section I was in. The hostess did a good job of keeping my tables mostly filled but I was in a sucky section full of tables, not booths, and most people don't like those. By the end of the night I was ready for a drink. Or three.

After I finished I met up with the room mate and some coworkers to throw back a few at our favorite local establishment and shake off the dust of my day.

Three Long Island ice teas and a red headed slut (ironic, no?) shot later I was feeling no pain. That's when I ran into a long forgotten someone from the former full time job. We only worked together for about a year but let me tell you, when he entered the office it made the scenery aroud there so much better. Tall, you can tell he is a former basketball player, with a nice smile and the most wonderful dimples. And freckles. Slightly younger than I am, when we worked together at the former full time job he was fresh out of college as opposed to my four years in the real world. That was about two or three years ago.

I recognized him right away. We had actually run into each other at the same establishment a few weeks ago. Being the nice and slightly drunk girl I was (read as bolder girl) he soon had a Heinekin in his hand courtesy of my tab. We started talking. Catching up.

Turns out he's going to be working at the same full time place I am now. Just a cubbie hole or two across the room. Life is funny like that. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the news. We continued to catch up, discussing where we had worked in the interim, what we were up to now, not realizing it was time to close the bar until I was yelled at to settle up my tab.

Not wanting to stop the conversation we finished our discussion back at my house...right up until he left the next morning.

So much for the rule about not getting involved with people I work with.

No comments: