Sunday, February 13, 2005

Pedal Pusher

Our first day on the slopes was Tuesday. Since it had been a good three or four years since my last foreay in ski's, I decided a lesson was prudent. So I signed up for the adult lesson and waited my torture...I mean instruction.

Betty was our instructor. She was an older lady who reminded me of my grandmother. She was also the first instructor I've ever had who taught me to properly make a turn. I had taken lessons before at our local slope. I would have been better off paying someone to take me to the top of the slope and push me.

But with Betty it was different.

She taught us that to turn, you needed to push down with your toes like you're on a bike. Pedal, pedal, pedal...and release. It became my mantra everytime I tried it. And it worked. Like a charm.

The lesson lasted about two hours. My group was taken to the top of the teaching slope by bus five times. We learned to not only turn, but also hop on our ski's. And walk in our ski's. The last time down we finished the slope. Then lunch.

I spent the rest of my afternoon on the bunny slopes around Snowshed. Angel, the 11 year old daughter of one of my managers and I, skiied down a few times together. Then I called it quits. The knees were not too happy and I was starting to feel sore.

We finally headed back to the hotel after the mountain closed around 4 p.m. That makes a good five hours on the mountain. Can you say calorie burning?

Through the grapevine and some of the hotties working on the mountain (Who knew hot Irish boys spent their winters in Vermont? Just another reccomendation for this girl to move north) that there was a hot party going on at the Wobbly Barn. Considering it was Mardi Gras we were all about it. Once some food was eaten and everyone was finally ready to go, the group hit the scene around 10 p.m.

All I have to say is holy cow, was that the hottest party I've been to in a long time. Girls were getting beads left and right (I came home with quite a bit myself, and yes they were earned), people were in all kinds of crazy costumes and masks and the music was just awesome. I've never been groped so much in my entire life. There wasn't a better Mardi Gras party north of New Orleans.

Because we wanted to get an early start again on the last day we (everyone but Beth) all departed after midnight. My legs were sore and after five hours of skiing and then standing in my favorite heels for the night I was ready to get some shuteye.

Boy did my bed feel good that night. Unfortunately the alarm went off way too early the next morning.

No comments: