Monday, July 25, 2005

Saying hello

We're about 4 or 5 in his parents backyard, playing in the pool. Aunt Julie is doing her famous "foot shark" impersonation. Parentals are there. Big fluffy towels after we're pulled out of the pool against our will.

We're around 10 or 11, hanging out in the backyard at the new house. Up in the playhouse, throwing things at his younger brother and my little sister. Getting yelled at. We sulk off to get the big wheels and start flying at the speed of sound down the street. Someone falls off. Band-aids and bactine are found.

It's summertime. We're in our late teens. He's heading off to college in the fall. I still have one more year of high school. The families have rented the same place at Bethany Beach. This night we're off wandering around on the boardwalk. Released by the parents to hang out on our own. Friends John and Brad are there and Brad's little sis. We laugh. We hang out. We have a good time.

We're in our early 20s. He's heading into his last semester of college. I'm looking forward to turning 21 in the fall and finishing up my own college career not too far behind. In the back of my head, I know this is the last time I'll ever see him. But I try to forget about it. We spend a few days at the beach house with his parents and some of his friends. My family isn't there, but that's o.k., these people are my family too.

I leave the house early in the morning.

"Good bye friend. I'll see you later."

This time, the reply is different.

"No. Actually, you won't. Not for a really long time. Just know I'm fine. And that I'll miss you, until I see you again. Just remember, life goes on. Oh, and please keep an eye on my brother."

Puzzled I look down to pick up my bag, look back up, and he's gone.

Then I wake up, tears are streaming down my face.

I had this dream last night. It was about my dear friend and almost brother, Kevin. His parents house is the one I'm house sitting this week. After 9 years I'm still dreaming about him.

That house holds so many memories, it's impossible not to.

No comments: