Monday, August 01, 2005

Stick a fork in 'em

As if the Oriole's season wasn't going down the tubes enough, this story flashes over the Noon broadcast of our local news. Raffy, how could you?

Sigh. I'm telling you, anyone can be a Stankees or BoSox fan, but it takes someone with real love for a team to be a Birds fan.

This weekend went by in a flurry of parties, margaritas with old friends, O's baseball games and trips to the gym. Friday night was spent at Camden Yards, proudly sporting my new floppy hat drinking a Miller Lite while my baseball team went down in flames. Again. Room mate #1 and I had a good time though, mocking other people in the stands, mocking each other and plotting our strategy for the golf tournament that will take place in two weeks during the weekend trip to Leslie's parent's cabin. We will prevail!

Saturday I actually managed to drag myself out of bed at 9 a.m. and spend a good hour in the gym. Shocking, I know. I'm actually surprising myself with this renewed attention to exercise and changing my eating habits. Maybe it was the shock of what I saw on the scale last week or the guilt of the crappy food while I was house sitting. I don't know. I do know I have been doing very well and I intend to keep doing it. Saturday night the little sis, bro-in-law and I travelled south for Friend Lyzz's crab fest/cook out. Yummy crabs, good food and lots of laughs, can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.

My friend Anne was in town for a dress fitting and some more wedding prep so I ended the night at the Lobster catching up over margarita's and calamari with her. We traded info on all of our friends from high school and discussed wedding plans, then she dropped in that she wanted me to be an usher. I was pleasantly surprised and dare I say, a little verklempt that she wanted me to take part in the big day. Tissues were needed. We eventually said our good-byes (she was heading back home to Iowa Sunday) and I headed for home and the relatvie comfort of my own bed.

Yesterday was a lazy day. I didn't get up until close to 11:30 a.m. Instead of finishing my unpacking from the house sitting, I sat on my tush, watched Laguna Beach: Season 2 (more proof that I am in no way ready to admit I'll be 30 in 3 months) and did the dishes. Eventually I felt guilty for not doing anything so I pulled on the gym clothes and got in a good workout for an hour later in the afternoon. Good thing too. Room mate #2's girlfriend and Room mate #1 both came home claiming hunger so all four of us hopped into the car and headed to Hoss's for dinner. Guh. All I had was the salad bar, a crabcake sandwich and some frozen yogurt and I was stuffed. Room mate #1 then had the brilliant idea to go to the driving range in anticipation of the golf tournament.

Believe it or not, I actually liked it. Shudder. Me. Liking golf. Who knew?

Just goes to show you, change can sneak up on you and shock the hell out of you. And you'll like it!

No comments: