Monday, November 14, 2005

Not quite dead yet

Holy busy weekend batman. The last three days were so crazy I was almost glad to get back to work today. Almost.

Friday was spent two hours (one way) on a school bus with 26 screaming high school kids. The end of football season saw the school whose band I'm helping with travel to round one of the footbal team's District playoffs. It was freaking freezing and fortunately, they lost the game. Which means I actually get my Friday nights back. Not that I have anything specifically planned. It's just nice to have the option.

Saturday was band championships. We practiced all afternoon then headed out to perform for the last time this season. Even though we came in third (it was a tie) those kids put on one heck of a show. Honestly, I thought we got screwed hard. They were a lot better than what the scores reflected. By the time the scores were read, everyone had gathered all of their stuff, the buses were loaded and we fought traffic home it was almost 10:30 p.m. Then the staff got together at the director's house to watch our performance. Again. Not that it mattered at that point. There wasn't much we could do about it. Michelle (the other guard instructor) and I only stayed a little bit. We headed for home around 12:30 a.m. I was tired and had a hockey game the next day so I fell into bed and slept like a rock. Too bad I didn't follow up with Lyzz, as there was a going away party for one of the guys we hung out with from the previous job. Apparently some of our old hang out buddies made appearances too. I wish I had gone, but a) I was too tired and b) I probably would have only gotten myself into trouble.

Sunday the hockey team had an afternoon game. The second of the weekend. It was one hell of a contest. We were down 3-1 by the middle of the second period and somehow managed to claw our way back to a 4-3 win. I had my first assist of the season on that last goal.

No, please, save your applause for later.

Tonight I have one more band function. The annual band banquet, then I'll be done for the year. I'm partially relieved, partially sad to see it all come to an end. I had fun working with the kids. But dear god what a crimp it was putting into what little bit of a social life I have anymore. Now it's back to doing what I do best on a Friday or Saturday night.


No comments: