Monday, February 20, 2006

The end is in sight

Originally the plan was for Room mate #1 and #2 to ski/snowboard Sunday while Stupid Girlfriend, Jeff and I shopped in Killington. That would have put us on the way home around 2 p.m. with an estimated arrival time of around 10ish.

Then we saw the weather report.

After dinner, before I fell asleep at 10:30 Saturday we decided to hit the road earlier. As appealing as it sounded, no one wanted to get snowed in in Vermont.

So Sunday morning we all woke up early, finished packing and cleaning up the condo. Check out time was 10 a.m. By the time we got to the rental place it was 9:30. I was under the impression we were checking out then hitting the road, no delays or questions asked. Guess I missed the memo somewhere because all of the sudden it was important for Jeff to find something to take back home for his wife and daughter. We spent the next three hours scouring Rutland, Vt. for any kind of souvenier he could take back.

Needless to say, I was not amused. Lack of sleep, sore muscles and no coffee made me cranky and ready to just get the hell home.

Finally we were on the road around 12:15.

By the time we hit I-88 everyone was getting a little cranky and irritable. One car wanted to stop, the other didn't. The lead car made a wrong turn at the N.Y. Throughway and we ended up heading away from I-81 toward NYC instead of Binghamton. Someone needed to go to the bathroom. The string of complaints was relentless. I thought it prudent to put my headphones on and wear down the battery on my MP3 player. The less I was involved, the better.

We pushed on through making good time with only two bathroom stops and one for gas somewhere south of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. I closed my eyes again for a little nap and before I knew it we were pulling up in front of the house at 7:30.

The cars were quickly unloaded, money was exchanged for gas, etc. (another source of contention that weekend) and Jeff was on his way home. Stupid Girlfriend and I held down the fort, actually getting along for once (I still forget how young she is and how little real world experience she has) while Room mate #2 went off to his hockey game and Room mate #1 retrieved the dog from his mother's. I didn't bother to unpack, I was too tired. We ate dinner and I hit my pillows by 10.

It was a long, fun trip, but boy was I glad to be home. Besides, I had an afternoon with Mr. M to look forward to the next day.

*****************************

Now, you didn't think I'd let this day go by without some mention of the acheivement one of my favorite Dukies accomplished yesterday, did you?!

Congratulations J.J. Redick - All Time Scoring Leader at Duke (passing Johnny Dawkins). Only 30 more points and he'll hold the same title in the ACC.


No comments: