Monday, February 27, 2006

I hear Switzerland is lovely this time of the year

Friday as I was running from the full-time to the part-time (which I am loving, by the way) I switched on my cell phone and noticed a message.

At first I thought maybe it was my mother or sister or even, Mr. M. calling to beg me to forgive him for being such a dipwad. No such luck. Instead it was my bank.

"This is Blah Blah Blah from the Fraud monitering department at Yadda Yadda Yadda bank We noticed some unusual activity on your card today and wanted to confirm with youl. Please reach us at your earliest convenience."

Yeah, right. Probably just another scam.

But I called the number anyway, because I'm slightly more cautious about that kind of thing now. Mainly because I have so little of the stuff that the bank actually keeps an eye on. I was put on hold with the standard recording of Thank You for calling Yadda Yadda Yadda bank. We appreciate your business and holding for the next available representative. Sure. I was sitting in the parking lot at the part time. Where the hell was I going?

15 minutes later I was still on hold and in danger of being late for work so I hung up with a mental note to call Saturday when I actually had some time to myself.

Saturday afternoon I got through with no problem to a very nice representative named Laura who informed me my account was flagged because a purchase of over $2,500 was attempted Friday afternoon. In Switzerland.

First of all if I had $2,500 in my account I'd be pretty damn happy right now. Secondly, I can think of a lot better things than a state of the art entertainment system to buy with that money (a few pairs of Manolo's maybe or a Coach bag). Thirdly, I've never been to Switzerland. Ever. Let alone jet over there in one day just to buy a state of the art entertainment system.

Damn Sven and his wiley ways.

Once we got everything straightened out (luckily the purchase hadn't gone through to my account yet) and a new card with a new pin number was issued I felt a lot better about the situation. Then I got in my car to go to work that night and realized my gas tank was hovering around the orange zone.

And my card had been turned off already. Bitches.

I had just enough gas to make it there but the light came on as I was sitting at a light. There was no way I was going to make it home with what was left. Thank god my parents are such wonderful people (when they aren't driving me nuts). Like any single girl in her 30s I called the first person I could think of for help. My mom. She only had about $7 on her but would call my dad and have him stop by the part time with some money.

Sure enough two hours later he came walking in the door with enough money to fill my tank plus a little extra for dinner. Just in case, don't you know.

Daddy's little girl? You're darn skippy.

So all's well that ends well. I made it home with a full tank and some yummy's from Sheetz. My new card should be arriving in a few days all ready to go and missing the horrible picture still on it from the summer after my Junior year of college. And Sven's attempts at buying a state of the art entertainment center have been thwarted.

Eat that Sven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happened to Rob once also. Someone in France was charging up his debit card. The bank was very efficent in getting the problem corrected and I was very shocked that they even called us to verify the charges. Glad it all worked out.

Denise said...

It's the ucky-est feeling in the world when your finances are hijacked, isn't it? Thank goodness you have Mom and Dad nearby...even grown ups need help sometimes!

Anonymous said...

When we were moving across country with a moving van, a truck and a jeep in caravan, we stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere Nebraska (I think) and when I went in to put the whole mess on my card, they told me the charge was declined. I sat out in the parking lot on the phone with Citibank while I explained that while it might seem ludricious to be charging that much money in gas at one time in Nebraska when only two days before I had resided in Pennsylvania, that no one had stolen my card. I only wished someone else was going to be responsible for those charges. Citibank apologized and promptly turned the cash flow back on.