Tuesday, February 14, 2006

We interrupt this totally inane story for a discussion about something completely irrelevant.

Today, as you may know unless you have been living in a hole or are floating around in space, is Valentine's Day.

Normally you would find some long diatribe from me about how much I hate this day, and why can't I find Mr. Right, and who's dumb idea was it anyway, and blah, blah, blah. Or maybe you'd find something like this posted (I did print it out and hang it up at work). Or in most cases, I would have just ignored it completely and gone on with my business.

But not this year.

I've given up the good fight and for the first time in a looooong time, I've recognized the existence of February 14th and its signifigance.

Mr. M and I had a good talk yesterday regarding his "We need to talk" comment from a week or so ago. Turns out he's more freshly on the market than I knew. As in divorce and seperation only happened about a year ago. He doesn't want to rush into anything, but he was quick to tell me he likes spending time with me. Whether it's just hanging on the couch watching a movie, having lunch or one of our *ahem* afternoon "power naps".

And I'm o.k. with that.

Because as I was quick to realize after a nostalgic look at my written journal, I'm usually the one who jumps in too fast. The one who gets ahead of herself as far as where we are and where we're going.

To use a favorite phrase, I'm driving too fast toward the destination to enjoy the scenery along the way.

Yesterday we celebrated V-Day early, as he has a long work day today. We had not discussed doing anything for each other outside of lunch and some hangout time after the fact. On a whim though, I picked out a card. Nothing to mushy or lovey dovey, because really, that's not my style. As he was leaving the house to head off back to work, I slipped it into his coat pocket.

He hasn't called me or emailed yet today (I dropped him a quick line this morning).

And really I'm o.k. with that, because I know no matter what happens with this, I'm doing what I feel is right. And if he is put off by that, then, well, maybe it's time to pull off and double check the road map, so to speak.

No comments: