Thursday, November 09, 2006

Like planning the third invasion of Europe

Other than when the initial announcement was made, I haven't talked about my impending change in status from Spinster Sister to Spinster Aunt. Little sis is due to give birth at the end of January to the first grandchild and actually the first baby in the family in almost 5 years.

Needless to say, the family is a little baby crazy right now.

Back in August, August, my mother started hounding me about planning a baby shower. This was before we knew it was a girl (Rylee is the name picked out. I think my sister may have been hit on the head too much when we were kids.). Before Little Sis and Bro-in-Law bought their own home. Before a decorating scheme had been planned out.

But we had to get out butts in gear for a shower.

With that in mind, everyone involved (my mother, myself and two of my aunts) decided to try and make it a surprise. Once we nailed down a date we came up with a pretty good cover story to get her to the shower, a surprise party for my birthday. The idea being that since nothing was really done for my 30th birthday last year with the family (last year's drunkfest didn't count. ahem.) they would plan a surprise party for me this year. So for now, unless someone blows it, she thinks she's attending a party for me. Damn we're good.

What we're going through to keep the whole thing a surprise though is tantamount to planning D-Day all over again. Everyday the four planners plus Bro-in-law are on the phone with each other getting our stories straight because Little Sis, party pooper that she is, has been fishing. So far we've been able to throw her off. But I'm not sure how much longer we can hold her off.

She's wiley, that one.

No comments: