What not to give your Valentine
How about salmonella?
J did the nicest thing for me yesterday. In the midst of the bad snow/sleet/freezing rain he drove my work clothes for the part-time from my house on one side of town to where I was on the other. After getting a key from the room mates. After looking all over the house for my bag, which in my haste to get out before the storm got bad I had moved to the kitchen and forgotten about. After risking his new car and himself to get across town.
Am I not spoiled or what?
It wasn't until I was leaving that I found out my part-time was going to be closed due to the bad weather....oops.
I had made some cookies for him Tuesday night, as a Valentines gesture and just to be nice in general (I'm a firm believer in the idea of the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach). I happened to have said cookies with me when my clothes were delivered so with a smile and a promise of "oweing more later" (wink, wink) I handed the cookies over and sent J on his way.
This morning, while I was warming up from my first fight with the ice holding my car I happened to catch CNN and saw a story about this. I nearly dropped my toast into my lap. Knowing full well I used Peter Pan Peanut Butter, I ran into the kitchen to check the lid. Sure enough 2111 was printed on the top. I called J right away.
"Don't eat the cookies!"
"Good morning to you too, but you're a little late, I've already eaten half of the bag."
"Throw them out!"
"Why, pray tell, would I throw the cookies out?"
"Salmonella. I made them with Peter Pan Peanut Butter, and the company is recalling all jars that have 2111 as part of the lot code...and my jar had the number. You don't feel sick, do you?"
"Good. I'll feel really bad if you get sick because of this..."
"Eh, well, at least then you could say you gave me two presents this year."
"Yeah, it'll be real funny when you're in the hospital."