Sunday, January 20, 2008

The story of my gimpiness

This year started off sooo well as far as my gym attendance was concerned. Gym trips at least two times a week. Signed up for a Zumba class. Running when I couldn't make it to the gym.

Such a great way to make my 2008 better. Healthier.

Then Monday happened. Actually my incredible klutziness about two falls ago happened. The problem goes back to my spill down the band bus steps. Basically the short version of it is that when I fell that first time, the tendons and ligaments in my ankle were stretched and since they don't stretch back, and I can't keep myself still for a minute they've been stretching more. So Monday when I was on the eliptical and my ankle gave out on me, that was my ankle saying "uh, hey, o.k. we're done over here". I had actually not done anything about it over the last week because I didn't think it was anything to worry about. Sure it was swollen and hurting on and off. Sure it kept going numb. No biggie.

Then on Friday it was really swollen. So swollen that the left incredibley cute bood wouldn't come off without some tugging. Still, I waited to go to the ER. Finally around 5:30 I drove myself to the hospital (it's only a few blocks away and in the neighborhood where I do a lot of my running). And two and a half hours later after a few x-rays (nothing broken), some poking and prodding by the super hot doctor (if you have to be there, you might as well look) I was sent home with a gel cast (to support the ankle) and orders to use my crutches until I see my primary care physician.

So that's the story of my gimpy left ankle. Tomorrow I call my doctor for an appointment (hopefully he'll be able to get me in as soon as possible) and then its up to him to pursue it any further. If he thinks I've torn something then I go off to see an orthopaedic surgeon for an outpatient procedure to tighten things up.

Leave it to me to ruin the potential for a perfectly good weekend.

No comments: