Saturday, May 17, 2008

Meet the Millers

Will (formerly known as PNS) and I have been together for just shy of two months now. Admittedly not long in the grand scheme of things but with my track record, something to brag about. We spend so much time together now that my room mate has told me he's thinking of cutting my rent in half due to my lack of actually being in the house.

Next weekend Will and I are travelling south to his grandparent's farm. From all he's told me, it's a beautiful place, situated along a river and not too far from the beach. The pictures he's shown me certainly back that up. I'm not going to lie though, I'm getting nervous about the whole thing. He's close to his grandparents and respects their opinion above all others. In fact, I'm meeting his grandparents before his parents. Oi, talk about pressure. What if they don't like me? What if my ideals clash with theirs? What if I blurt out my love of the O's (Pop's a big Yankee's fan)? What if I pass gas?

So much to worry about.

On the flipside of that coin, Will is going to be thrown into the deep end of the pool with my own family tomorrow. My mother's side of the family is gathering to celebrate Grandma Verna's 86th birthday. We'll have the usual cookout, cake and bocci tournament (pretty funny for a group who is as far from Italian as you'll get). Oh and don't forget the teasing and ganging up on of each other. It's not a family function unless someone is picked on the whole time. But anyway, I figured since I was meeting his family next weekend, this would be a good opportunity for Will to meet mine.

A long time ago, my cousins that are close to me in age and I figured out that if you introduce a boyfriend/girlfriend to everyone at a function it makes things so much easier on both the newbie and us. Our family is tough, they're loud, nosy and unmerciless. Oh, they're polite, don't get me wrong, but as soon as you're out of earshot, you're the topic of conversation.

God I love my large, Irish, pain in the ass family.

I've tried to prepare Will for what to expect as much as possible. I'm pretty confident he will hold his own. He can be quite the smartass himself.. just one of the many qualities that drew me to him. In fact, I think I'm more nervous than he is. But as long as there's sweet nectar of the gods around, I think we'll be all right.

I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Did your roommate really say they would cut your rent in half?!?! Where can I get a roommate like that??

Unknown said...

Lol, yeah he said it...but he wasn't serious about it. Filthy liar!