Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Happy 88th Birthday 19th Amendment!

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be or abridged by the United States or any State on account of sex. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

In this very important election year, let's all stop to thank those women (and men) who worked so hard for all of us to have our say in how this governement is run. Today is the 88th birthday of one of the most important amendments to our Constitution, ratified by the necessary 36th state Tennessee (Illinois was first, ratifying in June of 1919. Mississippi didn't ratify until 1984!) on August 18, 1920, the 19th Amendment was certified by Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby on August 26th.

For this politically active girl, it's hard for me to comprehend that less than 100 years ago, I would not have been allowed to vote. Just because I was a woman and it was believed that women just didn't have the capicity to understand politics. That I didn't have any rights outside of marriage, and even then, they were minimal at best. Thank god I was born when I was or else I probably would have spent a lot of time in jail!

Thank you Susan B. Anthony!

No comments: