Wednesday, March 03, 2004

So I've thought of a few things I wanted to mention from earlier. After my fourth cup of coffee my brain finally kicked into gear. God bless Starbucks.

This week was the 100th birthday of Dr. Seuss. I learned to read with Dr. Seuss. My first copy of There's a Wocket in my Pocket still sits on my bookshelf right next to my copy of Gone With The Wind and Jane Eyre. The first book my parents ever read to me was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. In fact, I have a tatoo of the Red Fish on my right shoulder. It was my first tatoo and my favorite of the three I have. I've been thinking of having the Blue Fish put on my left shoulder, but not yet. I need to spend my money in other places. But I digress. Dr. Seuss was a genius. As I was watching a segment of the Today show the other day about the Seussentenial Celebration one of the commentators said one of the reasons his books have lasted so long, is because Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) wrote his books in such a noncondescending (is that a word? well it is now.) way. He spoke to kids on a one on one level. Didn't speak down to them. His books also forced kids to use their imaginations, something I am a firm believer in. I also hold the conviction that if my parents hadn't read One Fish...to me as a younster I never would have developed my love of reading and books.

Onto something totally different, St. Patrick's day is fast approaching and I couldn't be happier. It's my most favorite holiday of the year! Hopefully I won't have to work at the Lobster that night and will be able to get out and enjoy it. My best friend Leslie, who lives in Hoboken, told me today the infamous Hoboken St. Patrick's Parade will be this Saturday. I sooooo want to go back up there for it. Unfortunately I must work. Bah. Talk about a good time. Lyzz and I were there two years ago and holy cow did I get wasted! We had such a good time though I didn't even mind the hangover and almost 4 hour drive home the next day. Good times, good times.

So let this be your reminder. Wear your green in two weeks. Have some Guiness. Go out. Pretend you're Irish for one day even if you aren't lucky enough to actually be part Irish like some of us and for god sakes just have a good time!

No comments: