Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Last night my sister and I went out for some Smithwick's and general conversation after she got home from work. I wanted to go because, well, it is Smithwick's and worth the drive. Besides, I was bored. Sure I don't exactly have the dinero to be going out like that one or two beers wasn't going to break me. She needed to discuss some plans she has for her new house. We had a good time, ate some crab dip and I took her home.

I wasn't quite ready to go home just yet, it was only 8:45 p.m., so I stopped by a little bar not too far from the house. It had been some time since I was there and I must say, I need to stop by there more often. Victor's is a little (when I say little, I mean little) place that has a traditional bar on one side and an Italian style restaurant on the other. Originally it was a catholic church and still maintains some of the hushed tones one might use while in church. The crowd that frequents Victor's is a little bit older but that doesn't take away from the cool factor. By the time I got there everyone was deep into their Tom Collins or gin and tonics, discussing the action on the bocce course behind the bar. Frank Sinatra was playing in the background mixed with a little bit of Dean Martin and some Sammy too. I felt like I was in a ratpack movie and any one of those three would come strolling through the door at any moment. To make it even better, my draft was only $1.25. That's it! $1.25. Can't get beer at that price too many places anymore. I'm definitely going to have to go back there.

Just found out this morning, I got the job! I was so happy at first I didn't know what to do. So I tried to call my mom. She wasn't home. The room mate was still in bed. I was nearly busting to tell someone then I stopped to think about it...and I cried. Because now I'm going to have to go into work at job #1 tonight and tell them I'm leaving. This isn't like the last time I quit a job. I  hated that place with a capital H-A-T-E-D. No, I actually like this job.

But it wasn't paying my bills.

It wasn't giving me any hint of the possibility that I could become full time.

So now I must leave.

The hardest part is leaving my friends. Like I said before, I'm not moving away or anything but I know how it goes. You stay in touch by email or phone for a little bit, promise to get together every now and then but you fade away. Eventually you get a random mass email updating you and 30 of their closest friends about new happenings in their life. And that's it. I hope that doesn't happen. I've met some wonderful and inspiring people during my time there and it's going to be hard to say good bye in two weeks. Very hard.

Damn it, I need a tissue. I hate being this emotional.




No comments: