Saturday, January 15, 2005


A is for Auntie. Posted by Hello

Friday's phone conversation

"Hey Mom, what's going on?"

"Nothing, I was just outside with the dog. What's wrong"

"Nothing! I just figured I'd call since I haven't talked to you all week."

blah, blah, blah, conversation about church and the extra work she's had to do. blah, blah, blah, complaining about my father.

"Have you talked to your sister?"

"No. Why?"

"Ahem, well, I know she wanted to be the one to tell you this, but, well, she's pregnant."

Gaping silence.

"Wendy? Are you still there?"

"Yeah mom. Wow. When's she due? Has she been to the doctor?"

"She's due around the end of August beginning of September."

"Well, guess I know where I'll be at that time."

"Did I tell you I'm going to Vermont for a ski trip in three weeks?"

Just like that, I found out I'm going to be an Auntie. A rush of emotions hit me with the words "she's pregnant." Happiness, getting married and having a family is really all my sister has ever wanted. Joy at the idea of a new addition to the family and someone for me to spoil. Then god help me I had a flash of oh my god, I'm going to end up being the crazy spinster aunt living in the big house on the corner with 80 cats yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my damn lawn.

Sigh. Different priorities I guess.

Did I tell you I'm going to Vermont on a ski trip in three weeks?

No comments: