Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Those wacky Brits

When I was still the obit reporter at my former job, I had an editor suggest to me it would be a good idea to read the obit stories the British newspapers print. I checked out several of the websites and eventually decided I love the style of the London Telegraph. Cheeky. Totally cheeky, those Brits. They let it all hang out and have very little, I don't care what people think about them, inhibitions when it comes to their reporting. Everything in fair game.

Because I still harbor dreams of someday living in either the U.K. or Ireland, I have signed on to receive the Telegraph's Expat Newsletter. Basically it's sent out to those Brits living outside off Island or those considering the move there. A capsule of news from the Motherland. The other day I noticed this story about the songs our cousins across the Pond want played at their funerals, and it set me into a 15 minute laughing spree over the third paragraph:

Second was Frank Sinatra's My Way and third was Monty Python's Always Look on
the Bright Side of Life.

The Python's are just brilliant and that song, well, let's just say it's now been added to my list of songs to play at my funeral. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go rent Monty Python's The Life of Brian, but only if you've got a sense of humor about religion. One of the most brilliant and funny movies ever made. It ruined me for Gladiator. You'll see why if you watch it.

No comments: