Sunday, August 14, 2005

Back to reality

"I DON'T want to go back to civilization!"

Room mate #2's girlfriend voiced the thought that had just gone through my head.

With a lot of alcohol, a bajillion laughs and one very frustrating attempt at golf behind us, it was soon time to head back to the real world. And just like the room mate's girlfriend, I didn't want to go.

Time at the Rice Paddy (Leslie's parents cabin) just seems to slow down. The second I pulled into the parking area I felt myself relaxing. While we didn't exactly rough it, the cabin is a wonderful escape from the everyday stuff. Sure, there was a TV complete with cable. Running water and indoor plumbing. A microwave and Leslie's laptop, just in case. But to me, the cabin represents more than what it does have. It's really more about what it doesn't.

It doesn't have my phone ringing off the hook (no cell phone reception).

It doesn't have a stack of bills staring me in the face every time I walk in the front door.

It doesn't have loud cars or neighbors practically right on top of you .

Instead it has fresh air, lots of trees and a big, wide, wrap around screened in front porch that's perfect for coffee drinking and newspaper reading and a chorus of cicadas that serenade you to sleep.

Heaven.

There were a lot of hijinx this weekend that I'll probably get into in another post later. Lots of pictures were taken and as soon as I can I'll get some on here for you. In the mean time I'm going to sit here at work and smile as I think about all of the fun and all of the wonderful friends I was able to spend time with.

No comments: