Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Sickness blows

Somewhere in the last couple of days I managed to pick up some form of illness. Stuffy nose, pounding head, generally feeling like I was run over by a Mack truck.

This particular bug has been very stealthy.

Monday I was still groggy from the weekend's activity so I didn't think anything of it when I went home from work and promptly slept on the couch for two hours. Naps are not a part of my regular routine anymore but with both jobs and being out late a lot recently, my body was in need of some extra rest. Which is why I went to bed around 9:30 that night.

Yesterday I woke up with the scratchy throat. As the day wore on the rest of the symptoms joined in until I felt like I had just been checked into the boards by Steve Bertuzzi. By the time I made it home from the full time I was ready to call off from the part time. There was no way I was going to be able to work and still function.

Then my boss called. He needed me to come in early because some of the others had called off. I downed a handfull of cold medicine and headed out the door. Why? Because I'm responsible like that. The meds helped me to breathe but I was so out of it I could hardly think straight. Around 8:30, after we had slowed down and I had spent the last five hours alternating from being cold to hot to cold again, my managers took pity on me and sent me home.

I downed some Thera-Flu (sweet nectar of the gods) and fell into bed.

Today's a little better. The bug is starting to subside a little, my head no longer feels like a jackhammer has been taken to it. I can kind of sort of breathe out of one nostril. Oh, and the Kleenex count for the day is around 12 right now.

I was supposed to work tonight too, but again my managers have taken pity on me and told me I didn't have to come in. I feel bad leaving them in the lurch like that but really, would you want to be greeted at the door to a restaurant by a snotty, red-eyed, scratchy-voiced hostess? Yeah. Me neither.

Instead I'm going to plant myself on the couch with a big container of OJ (mom used to give me orange juice slushies when I was sick as a kid and I still crave them when I'm sick), my favorite down throw and the remote control.

No comments: