Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Macaroni Grill conversations

"It wasn't easy, I'm definitely going to tell you that."

My friend A was sitting across from me Monday night. We had just polished off our dinners, or part of them in my case, at our nearest Mac Grill and were letting things digest over bellini's and conversation.

"What really helped though, I mean, what really helped was telling other people I was doing it. Then I felt like I was accountable to someone. That if I didn't follow through, I was letting other people down."

"Hmmm, good point," was all I could think of as I sipped more of my bellini.

A and I don't get together as often as we should. We share a lot in common, both single, both Oriole's fans and both just looking for something better to do with our lives. I had asked her how she had done it. Something I need to do...lose weight. A had dropped about 50 or 60 pounds over the course of two years. And lately, as I become more and more displeased with my own reflection, I'm thinking it's time I seriously consider getting back on the wagon.

Clothes aren't fitting me like they used to. I'm more tired and less inclined to want to actually do things. Lately I find myself more in cover up mode. Something must be done. And A, of all people, I knew would give me the kick in the pants I needed to get going.

"If you want, you can call me anytime you want. I'm there and trust me, you'll need it. There were many nights when I was so frustrated I wanted to just give up. But you can't. Because it's more about being healthy than anything else. You need to be healthy."

I sighed as I looked up from my unfinished plate, having been too full from my salad and bread before the entree to finish off what I had ordered. It was neatly wrapped and ready to go.

"I know, I know. I just need motivation. That's my problem, I go all gung ho at the beginning then I get all moopy and ambivilent about it."

"Just remember, it's about you. No one else. And don't you deserve some time to yourself? Some time to just clear out everything in your brain? You have to make the time or else you'll go nuts!"

"Yeah, you know what, you're right. I do."

No comments: