Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Pass the Kleenex and crack the seals

As part of Team Usher one of my duties this weekend was to (and I quote) "place water bottles on the front pew of the church for the wedding party with cracked seals."

It was on the timeline so it had to be done.

Thirty minutes before the start of the service I was juggling 10 bottles of water for the bridal party. And cracking the seals. And putting small packets of Kleenex out for the inevitable tears. And watching my dear friend Anne have a minor meltdown because the box of boutinniers and corsages was left at her parents house...10 minutes away.

Once the minor fire of the missing box was put out, my job was relatively finished.

Another wedding down, two more to go this year.

Weddings used to depress me. So much happy happy lovey doveyness that, well, I just couldn't understand or participate in. There came a time when I was the first person to dive toward the exit when the bouquet toss was announced. Now, well, now I just see them for what they are. A bunch of fluff to announce to the world that two people are in love and plan on staying that way for quite sometime, if not forever.

It occured to me Saturday, in between the appetizers and green salad that I'll probably spend the rest of my life going to other people's weddings. But not necessarily having one of my own. On some level I'm o.k. with that. I'm not the fluffy lovey dovey type anyway. Hopping a plane to Vegas would be more my style anyway. But the reality is setting in.

Some people are meant to be with someone else for the rest of their lives. Some aren't. Which category I fall into remains to be seen but more and more, I'm starting to be o.k. with the idea that I might be in the second one.

Because not everyone is lucky enough to win in the lottery of love.

No comments: