Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What is this thing you call a weekend?

Almost since right after I graduated from college I've worked two jobs. Being overburdened with student loan debt, credit card debt and car payments will do that to you. Oh and then there's that pesky need to make sure you're fed and have a roof over you.

So I don't usually get a normal weekend, per say. Most Friday's I leave the full-time and head straight to the part-time, meaning I'm dead tired by the time I get home around 11 p.m., 18 hours after I started my day. Saturdays do offer a small chance to sleep in, but not much since I'm helping my friend M with his indoor guard this season. They usually practice Saturday mornings. An hour away. At 8 a.m.

Thank god for Starbucks.

Sundays, at least lately, have centered around working at the full-time (death doesn't get a day off). Granted, I don't head into the office until around 3 but by the time I sleep in a little, maybe get some laundry done and finally take a shower, my day is shot. If I really want to get anything accomplished, I need to drag my weary bones out of bed no later than 10 a.m.

This weekend though, ah, this weekend promises to be different.

My dear friend Abbey and I made plans about a million years ago to head south about 45 minutes to Baltimore for the day. No agenda. No specific plans in mind, just the two of us loose in Charm City.

We've been throwing ideas around for the last week or two about what we want to do. Shopping is definitely on the list. Maybe hit up the Baltimore Aquarium or walk over to Camden Yards (we're both big O's fans). There's a little restaurant just outside of the Inner Harbor area I've been wanting to try. And then there's Fells Point. I haven't been over in that area for ages, so we might meander that way.

This trip is definitely a bright spot for me right now. I need to get out of Dodge for a little bit. This town grinds on you, especially if you're in the service industry. One more night of subpar tips and I may go off on someone. God help the next table that leaves me a tip less than 15%. It's also a chance to just spend a good day with a good friend. Abbey and I, despite living only 10 minutes away from each other, only get together once in a great while. I hate that I don't get to hang out with my friends that often but that's what happens when you work 18 hour days and can't say no.

No comments: