Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I've been everywhere, man

Forgive me if this post meanders at all. I returned from vacation Sunday and my brain has been slow to get back into work/normal life mode. I'd love it if I could STAY in vacation mode, but that doesn't fly when you're doing the work of three people and playing catch up from just being off for one measly day.

Ahem.

Let's start with something easy. Vacay. Oh how nice it was to get out of Pennsyltucky for a few days, lounge by the ocean and actually let my stress and
worries roll out with the tides. Work Friend A and I headed out for Bethany Beach, Del. this past Thursday after work, not looking back and vowing not to talk about work. At all. Just like the sunshine, that lasted until we got to the Maryland line. It started raining, and raining, and raining some more right after we crossed out of Pennsyltucky. I turned to A with a worried look on my face and said "I hope this doesn't follow us the whole way down there."

Ah, me and my psychic ways. The rain stuck with us until just north of Bethany, when we stopped for dinner, then miracle of miracles, the sun came out and the clouds started clearing away. A better view than what we had just driven through, to be sure. Friday we had a little bit of rain in the morning (after we were already on the beach, of course), not wanting to give up our prime beach real estate we tried to tough it out but it started raining harder so we caved in to the weather and went shopping instead. After lunch the sky was clear so we hit the beach again. Lady luck was smiling down on us because we managed to snag the prime spot we had before. It was heaven...warm, sunny and water cold enough to shock your pores closed for the next 10 days. That night we trekked into Ocean City, walked the boardwalk, wondered what the heck is wrong with kids these days (we saw some very interesting sights on the boardwalk, to say the least), listened to some street performers (one of which was situated on a bench with an accordian and a Homer Simpson mask), ran into someone I knew from home (always happens)...then called it a night around 11. We had big plans for Saturday.

Saturday was quite the adventure. A and I dragged ourselves out of bed early to catch the Lewes-Cape May ferry. We had a pleasant 1 hour and 20 min. ride across the bay to Jersey where we shopped a little before we stopped for lunch. What a lunch it was too! You definitely get your money's worth at the Jackson Mountain Cafe (highly recommend it if you're ever in Cape May, NJ). A left half of her sandwich on her plate, too full to finish and I only finished 3/4 of my own. I hated to leave that much of such a good thing on my plate but I've gotten to the point where when I'm full, I stop. No more of this stuffing myself to bursting then feeling miserable. But I digress. We spent the rest of the day on the beach in Cape May, again enjoying the gorgeous weather, the cool water and the view at the lifeguard stand. On the way back to our shuttle to the ferry, we checked out some of the wonderful victorian style homes Cape May is known for. I wish we had more time because I could have spent all day just walking up and down the slate sidewalks looking at the gardens and marveling at the wide range of colors and styles of homes.

Of course, we came home early Sunday morning because I, as I always do, had to work. It was hard to come back, I definitely could have used a few more days off.

There have been other things going on now that are either baffling to me or just causing me to be super duper busy and away from my computer more than usual. All I'm going to say about the baffling is that someone is showing me some attention (good attention) and I'm a little...confused...no, that's not the word I want to use...I'm not sure how I want to say this because I am so flattered and so overwhelmed that someone so smart, funny, sweet and incredibly handsome would even have the time of day for me. I don't know. I love that we've started up this dialog we have going and I sincerely hope it continues. Getting his emails is one of the high points of my day.

Band is getting into high gear now too. I figured out that come fall, I'll have a band activity at either one of the two schools about 4 or 5 times a week. Guh. Once a band geek, always a band geek.

No comments: