Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mornings after a holiday suck

It's normally rough for me to get out of bed in the morning. I faced up to the fact that I am not really a morning person a long time ago. If it were up to me I'd sleep as long as I wanted then drag my butt out of bed for work. Sometime around Noon.

This morning was a little rougher than usual. Yesterday I played tennis with my brother-in-law and as I was stretching to get a backhand I pulled a muscle in my lower back. We played a little more because in my family, you kept playing a sport when you were hurt until you either passed out from the pain or blood squirted from your ears. After we were finished, I went home, took a hot shower and spent the rest of the day lounging in my pajamas on the couch, napping and watching "The Revolution" on The History Channel. I'm such a history geek.

Before bed I took two Advil, hoping that would help the back pain in some way...and it did until I went to get out of bed this morning. Now, I will admit here and now I am waaaayyyyy over due for a new mattress. A combination of lack of money and just not making the time for the shopping have left me with a very lumpy, very coily mattress. The thing is 10 years old and no matter how much I flip it now, it's not exactly the most comfortable thing in the world. But I digress. As I went to stand up this morning I gasped at the pain when I took my first step. I was very sore and very much doubled over.

Still, work was calling. So here I sit. Two more ibuprofen tabs are waiting for my coffee to cool off before I take them. Everytime I get up to go do something I hurt. Badly.

I'm thinking some of it is stress. I'm meeting with the new band director at the school where I instructed last year and I must admit, I'm a little nervous. I hope I'm up to the task of taking over the guard this year. I wasn't even going to apply for it but I don't want to leave my kids hanging out there with no one to work with them. They deserve some consistency this season.

No comments: