Saturday, March 01, 2008

Back on the boards

I was in my first stage production when I was in the 6th grade. I don't remember what it was, but I remember the tryout process, the singing, the dancing and the jitters before the performance (I was only in the chorus). It was fun and nerve wracking and I totally loved it.


After that first appearance I was in plays and musicals all through middle school, high school and into my first year of college. I mean where else, but on stage, can you be someone else so completely different other than yourself? And I hate to admit it, but I freaking love the applause. You like me, you really like me!

O.k., maybe not so much like that but you get the drift.

One of the other promises I made to myself (outside of the health thing) was that I would get back into the activities I enjoy. Hockey, as much as I hate to admit it, is fading. I haven't been on the ice once this season and as much as I love it, well, I just can't afford it.

But the stage, well, that is free. And this Monday I'm auditioning for a show at the local theater. The actual show is a night of one acts and the call is open for all four. I've actually been looking for something to audition for over the last couple of months but either my schedule didn't fit or the play was not something I wanted to do.

I haven't told any of my friends or family I'm auditioning. It's not that I'm afraid of failing, I know I haven't been on stage in a long time and my chops are a little rusty, as they say in the biz. It's more that I hope that I do get a part in at least one of the plays, and I can surprise them all when I get the part. A little odd, maybe, but I think my mom would be pleasantly surprised if I told her I was back on stage again. She was always my biggest supporter when it came to that stuff. And I can just hear the reactions of my friends if I do get one of the parts.

But that's yet to be seen. The butterflies have been starting over the audition already but if I can just get myself there and give it my best, then I'll be happy with whatever happens.

No comments: