Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Yay for family get togethers, even if it isn't my family

Well, I survived. No, more than survived, I had a GREAT time at Will's family gathering on Saturday. I met aunts, uncles, cousins, friends of the family, second cousins three times removed and random people who may have just been passing by and decided to join the party.

Eh, the more the merrier, right?

The food was amazing, his grandmother had been cooking and preparing when we arrived Friday night. As people showed up, more goodies arrived with them including the most delicious ribs I've ever tasted. Seriously, Chili's has nothing on these ribs.

And now I most definitely need to get my butt back to the gym. Big time.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from the day or the whole weekend for that matter because I'm getting forgetful in my old age. The camera was still sitting on the table when I got home Sunday night. Grrr.

I also gained a better understanding of camp. Since I had left my car at camp over the weekend and had to go back to pick it up anyway, I stayed Sunday to help with the check in for this week. My role was nothing major, just making sure the kid's medical histories were up to date and that there were no major issues for the camp nurse in the upcoming week. Dr. Ruth helped me through the forms, the kid on crutches, the kid who just haphazardly mentioned that he had been epileptic but "hadn't had an episode in a long time" and the kid who got sick WHILE we were checking him in. Poor Dr. Ruth, she had her work cut out for her this week.

It also gave me a small glimpse at the role Will plays while he's at camp. I had NO idea how high up on the food chain my boyfriend is and let me tell you, it's kind of hot...in a take charge kind of way. Who knew my boyfriend was such a take charge kind of guy? I mean, I've seen it here and there as we've been dating and I'm glad I was able to see him in a different light. A good light.

While we were at the grandparent's farm, we snuck in some alone time, despite sleeping in different bedrooms (their house, their rules) and one of the nights as we were snuggling before bedtime I told him all of the things I love about him. His smile. His laugh and how he makes me laugh. His sense of humor. His intelligence and even more now, how much he loves working with the kids, it makes me see even more how giving and wonderful he is.

And now excuse me while I go hide in shame for becoming the gushy, gooey, doe-eyed in love girly girl I always hated when I was still single...

No comments: