Wednesday, April 08, 2009

We now present you with the following editorial

I know my posting has been very sporadic of late. Chalk it up to a very busy schedule (house sitting the world's neediest black lab, work and pre-marching season craziness) and that's even before things get rolling at the stadium again this year.

The only quiet time I get anymore is the hour I'm alone in the office every morning. Yeah, it sucks that I'm up at the butt crack of dawn so I can arrive at work by 7 a.m. but the peace and quiet of the hour before the others start showing up is a good trade off. During my hour I can usually get caught up on some internet reading, embarassingly enough I tend to start out with our own website since I can very rarely get the time to actually READ one of the two newspapers in this town. And I work there. As I was going over the editorials this morning, I found this:

Stick to those high standards (published 4/7/09)

Basically, it's about how we SHOULD focus on education and keep the standards high for those playing sports and other extra-curricular activities. The editorial rolled out of a story that ran earlier this week regarding a local district that wanted to raise the required average for all students participating in extra-curricular activities. To a 70%. The parents got all up in arms about it because god forbid little Johnny be kept on the bench because his grades weren't up to snuff. Um, excuse me, last I heard school was for learning.

And you know, life isn't fair, but god forbid a kid is forced to learn that early on. But that's another rant for another time.

No comments: