Thursday, January 21, 2010

Childish

Last May, one of my former college room mates and I cut what was left of our tie to each other. We were barely on speaking terms as it was, but in the years after we moved out and moved on, we just stopped being friends. I tried to reconnect when I saw she was on Facebook, but was rebuffed. She told me that I wasn't a good friend because when her father had passed away the previous September, I hadn't been there for her. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what the hell she was talking about because when she called to tell me, I started getting misty too because I remembered her dad and all of the things he did for her through college. I asked if there was anything I could do. Did she need someone to watch her dog? Check her house? What could I do? Her reply at the time was nothing. Unfortunately the service was on a week day and I couldn't get the time off to go (it was out of town). And as far as sending cards and flowers, well, I'm not very good at remembering to do that kind of thing. I never have been.

Then it occurred to me, she was just looking for an excuse to end our friendship. So I let it go, because I realized that as we get older, we grow out of friendships and move on in our life. And that is what had happened. In fact, that is what had happened with all of my college room mates from senior year. To be honest, I wasn't really friends with most of them anyway and once I graduated, well, we just stopped having a connection. I know they're all still buddy buddy and that's fine, but what really boils my water is the childish comments I see on mutual friends' Facebook posts and snide comments that I know get said in my absence. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but jeez, let it go. I have. I frankly don't give a flying fig about any of them anymore. There is too much going on in my life to be concerned about it. I know who my REAL friends are and that is all I need.

Yeah, this post was a little heavy but I needed to get it off of my chest. I believe said former room mate still reads this blog every now and then and I'm glad she does, because as far as I'm concerned she's just like every other stranger who finds there way here. This blog is for me, not for them.

No comments: