Thursday, December 14, 2006

I think it's just the cold medicine talking

This time of the year tends to make me more introspective. Blame it on the push to New Years Eve or the fact that I'm not getting any younger...or the copious amounts of cold medicine coursing through my vains. But come the end of December, I start taking stock of the past year and my life so far.

This year, as I've started looking back over the last 365 days, I've come to the conclusion that finally, I am starting to actually enjoy myself. Situations that would have thrown me into a total tizzy five or ten years ago are met with a shrug of the shoulders and "eh, we'll see what happens". I have become more willing to take risks. More willing to put myself out there. More, dare I say, forgiving of past hurts. There are still a few people and places that hit a raw nerve. That for one reason or another I either can't let go of or don't want to let go of. And that's o.k.

Some people and places stay with us forever.

As I was doing my morning perusal of favorite blogs, I came across this quote of Ralph Waldo Emerson's on Alicia Paulson's site, Posie Gets Cozy:
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Tomorrow is
a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense."

I've decided that as I move on to the next year, I'm going to take these words to heart. Each day brings its own challenges and surprises. And that's enough. Each sunrise will be greated with the idea that no matter what, something new and wonderful could happen. And will...no matter how small or mundane it may seem. Each day matters and when it's over, it's over. There's nothing you can do about it. Moving on, and meeting the next day with enthusiasm is the way I plan on spending my 2007.

No comments: