Friday, December 28, 2007

All's quiet on the South Central Pennsyltucky front

It's appropriate that this last Friday of 2007 is a nice quiet one, considering what the end of my year last year was like. Unlike 2006, December of 2007 has been slightly calmer and dare I say (hopefully not jinxing anything) drama free.

No TBD drama.

No parents drama...o.k., well, minimal parental drama.

I feel like I may just escape the end of this year with a smile and even more shockingly, hope for once that my life is on the upswing.

What a difference a year makes.

The guys are both at work tonight so I'm firmly entrenched on the couch, catching up on some blog reading, doing laundry and catching bits and pieces of movies (The Mummy, Grease, etc. Yeah, I'm a flipper). It's nice to have the house to myself but I must say it's a little lonely here in the homestead without the furry room mate, this being the first Friday night alone without him and all. While I do enjoy my alone time, it was always reassuring to have at least Oscar hanging around.

I went back today and reread some of my posts from the end of last year, beginning of this year. Wow. How quickly things can change. TBD and I are finally, after much drama, bickering and nasty comments traded back an forth at a good point in our friendship. He's realized he doesn't necessarily need to share everything he does with me and I've stopped mocking his manhood in retaliation when he makes me angry. It's a truce I guess. And I'm glad for it, he's better as a friend anyway because as a boyfriend or even friend with benefits, he wasn't so much.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the one goal I didn't meet that I wanted to the most...moving out on my own. Financially 2007 was quite a roller coaster. With my car finally paid off though and some extra money saved up from the guard directing gigs, I'm ahead for once. I'm hoping this year, well, this year will be the year I get the heck back out there on my own. It may not seem like a big deal but to me, the original overly independent one (ask my mom about the time I tried to run away when I was 5 or 6), it's a HUGE deal.

Thinking about the ups and downs, gains and losses of this last year has made me realize that I'm actually heading into 2008 in a better place than where I was heading into 2007...new friends, new opportunities and dare I say, thinking that the L word isn't such a bad word after all.

No comments: